2023 marked the 25th and final edition of this incredible event.  Despite the mayhem caused to Cathay Pacific by Covid (and advancing years), Big Sai Wan with a bit of help from LSW managed to field a team of 12 to fight for the Asian Ryder Cup one final time in Pattaya.

Everyone had a blast, and fittingly the series (which was tied at 12 matches to each team) went down to the final flight on the final day.

An overused expression, but at the end of the day ARC was the winner. Everyone who has been involved with this wonderful event will have fond memories of it forever.

A special thanks to JP for doing the lions’s share of organisation, stalwarts such as Marty Vandenberg, Tiku, Jason Waldie, Ian Jerdan, Richard our hard working “organiser on the spot” for many years, and our 9 virgins who stepped in to make the final event possible.



In 2014, the Society hit its Golden Anniversary, and it was decided that we should do something special to mark this remarkable occasion. Various ideas were kicked around, and in the end three ideas were decided worthy of action.  Firstly it was agreed we should organise a Society trip to the Masters Championship at Augusta National.  This was preceded by a series of golf games around California including one at the legendary Pebble Beach.  Secondly, thanks to a personal connection, we were able to persude Gary Player to do us the honour of attending one of our events, and all players present that day had the opportunity to play a couple of holes with the golf legend, something I am sure we will all remember as one of the highlights of our golfing lives. And finally, it was decided that on any member reaching their 50th event with the society, they would be awarded a beautiful engraved whiskey decanter, to commemorate their preseverance,  if not necessarily ability with the Society.

Gary Player Visits Little Sai Wan

Little Sai Wan let loose on Pebble Beach

Our Trophies

1964 – 1970



 A recent drawing of Deep Water Bay Club House on the back of the SCMP Saturday Review section had a caption relating to the start of the Royal Hong Kong Golf Club in 1889, describing how some gentlemen had got together to form a club. Little Sai Wan Golf Society got off to rather a more down-to-earth start without any delusions of social status – much more down-market altogether.

 The minute book shows the following “ Owing to many of the employees of C.S.O.S. Little Sai Wan being keenly interested in golf, a Mr. Colwill was approached and asked to call a meeting with a view to forming a golfing society” Mr. Colwill was obviously blessed with a silver tongue and powers of persuasion, because the meeting duly took place at the China Fleet Club on 25 February 1964 and was attended by 23 interested persons.


Like all such meetings a committee was formed. Interestingly enough, there was no such office as captain in the original formation, the titles of Chairman and Vice Chairman being used. Andy Bennett, the first Vice Chairman was to become a major figure in the early years. A Mr. W. Sutcliffe became the first Chairman. The joining fee was $10 with a monthly subscription of $5.

 A committee having been formed, which from the minute book seems to have included most of the 23 who attended the Fleet Club meeting! They began to have regular meetings during which the constitution was agreed, membership being restricted to CSOS and to service personnel attached to Little Sai Wan. By 13 March 1964 the first approach to the RHKGC was authorised in which entrance as a society was sought, and the first – ever medal was to be played on 12 May 1964 over the New course at Fanling, 18 holes stroke play, maximum handicap of 18. The next meeting discussed the “ faults of the last competition” Some of those faults discussed appear to have remained perennial favourites with all LSWGS committees – slow play, late arrivals etc.

 The minute book for the period begins to reflect the steady performance of the society, and the establishment of several of the rules we still adhere to, such as the type of medal and the sequence they were to be played. They even talked of a putting green at LSW. Did it ever materialize? Points of interest during the early period were the selection of a team captain, Mr. Ron Lawrence being elected. There was an appeal for support from Kim Hall for golf equipment, and the provision of lessons for society members by the professional at Fanling. They even had a cocktail party obviously beginning to develop a more up-market image. The first long term trophy was presented in October 1964 – a silver salver to be played for as the Captain’ s Prize over 36 holes and donated by Row Lawrence. In November the tradition of a round of drinks on the occasion of a retiring or tourex member’ s last game was introduced, Mr. W “ Bill” Sutcliffe being the first recipient. By the end of 1964 the society was up and running and held the first LSWGS dinner dance at the Repulse Bay Hotel on 25 January 1965, the unfortunate treasurer later reporting a loss of $610.30. So ended the first year.

The first AGM on 12 April 1965 has some interesting comparisons with the present day. For example the bank balance was $360.45 with $80 worth of subscriptions outstanding. The chairman as only Andy Bennett could suitably berating those who had not attended the dance after reserving tickets. The records of the meetings now begin to follow a familiar pattern, and only items of particular interest or humour will be reflected from now on. For the statisticians among the readers the average field in the early medals was 10, hardly the foretaste of things to come. Of interest to CSOS members was the decision in July 1965 not to have LSWGS merged with other sporting clubs at LSW. The effects of this decision was important in allowing the society the automony it has retained. There was humanity within the committee – the lucky Mr. Punnet was informed that since his partner Mr Cade had broken his arm, he could have Mr. Patman as, a reserve partner – however the secretary records “ much feeling in the committee before making this kind decision” Two typhoons later the LSW cricket club was asked to loan the society their short cut mower – although whether for a putting green isn’ t made clear.

Money was obviously rolling in by now as the amount for drinks for the 1966 dance was $100 and a five piece band had been booked at a cost of $400! At the April 1966 meeting the secretary reported that some m embers of the RHKGC had complained that on arriving at Fanling they had to wait a long time before getting a chance to play. that sounds familar The fields by now had increased to 29 and longer tee reservations were being proposed. The membership had grown to 50 and at an EGM in June 1966 the proposal that membership should be unlimited was carried unanimously.

During this early period there seems to have been many more cross society competitions and matches against other societies, especially CSGS and even the RHKGC itself. In August 1966 that durable chap Terry Keeley was proposed as a member. No, he has not been here ever since The dreaded word eclectic still seemed to have bothered the recorder of the minutes, witness the several unique versions encountered down the years, electic, eletic, ecletic etc. One wonders did Mr. S…… ever return to Hong K ong and repay his outstanding debt – there is a large asterisk in red warning future secretaries of the action to be taken should he ever return. Probably clubbed at dawn with a sand wedge. However return he did, and discharged his debt honourably. Possibly the first ever associate member is recorded in March 1968 – Mr. Anthony John Hopper. HMS Eagle requested a match against the society in the same month The winning sailor was to receive a tankard from the society. In the match LSWGS were the winners.

An EGM in October 1968 saw the members approve a letter asking for 5 day membership at the RHKGC for LSWGS members. At the same time it was noted that the joining fee for full members at the RHKGC had just been put up to $1,500, and the green fees at DWB and Fanling were raised to $20 plus $2 Golf Association levy and $30 plus $3 respectively. A resounding NO was received from the club to the society request for a reduced fee dispensation. A later m eeting stated that the members were still reeling from the green fee increase but coping manfully!!!

 Finally the AGM of 1970 recorded that the society had still been unable to negotiate their own account with the RHKGC but hopes were high that a new attempt would be successful. Meanwhile the balance had reached $1337.29. The captain commented on the matches against the RCT and FEAF in Singapore. With improved relations with the RHKGC but worsening ones with CSGS. On the social scene a barbecue, golf clinic and film show had all went well. The any other business featured complaints from the cricketers at LSW about the golfers hitting balls onto the cricket square, with Mike Bedford bemoaning the LSWGS indifference to social games and hoping that the attitude would change. The decision to have a club tie was made at this meeting.  Anyone still got one?  So ended the first period in the history of LSWGS.

 The end of 1970 saw Mr. Ford of Fanling giving members 10% discount on all purchases except golf balls. The putting green at Little Sai Wan had become fact with a greens member enthusiastically looking after it, and one member of the committee presented his design for a six hole course at LSW. This was obviously an attempt to fight back against the Hong Kong Golf Association for their refusal to accept LSWGS as a participant since the society didn’ t own a golf course! Looking to the future an order for 250 memberships cards was placed, these to look like the Cathay Pacific cards whatever they might have been? Finally despite the best efforts of Typhoon Joan the annual dance at the Peninsula attracted 250 people and was deemed to have been a great success. So ended the first period in the society’ s history.


1971 – 1980



This decade would see some of the best years for the society. A solidly based membership comprised of a healthy CSOS section and an enthusiastic associate group of members. The latter in fact becoming increasingly important, as by 1980 the proposed closure of Little Sai Wan became fact, and with it a pending reduction in staff; although until 1982 this did not have a great deal of impact. The change from associate membership to full membership for all members proposed in 1980 at the AGM ensured the continuing life of the society during the leaner years which came later.

However in 1971 such things weren’ t even contemplated, and the future was bright.

Of much more concern was the need to bring defaulters in the payment of subscriptions to order, and the committee established a ‘ black book’ to record names for posterity so that if any wretched soul returned to the colony, the heavy boys could call around for settlement. The call to post defaulters names in a prominent position at Little Sai Wan did not, however, find approval! No reasons were given, but it was decided that new associate members should be thoroughly vetted before admission. On the social side, a ferry dance on the Weatherite air-conditioned ferry was to cost $45 a head including an 8-course Chinese dinner, and the annual dance at the Peninsula would also cost $45 including the 8-15 to 9 pm cocktail session.


Permission to have 3 ball matches on the New was denied, but the club promised to review the situation when the Eden was finished. A saving account for the Taiwan trip was opened, with the CPA charges to be $1020 per head. Matches were played against the Japanese GS, RHKGC Ladies, American Club, and Civvies v RAAF. 1971 also saw some acrimony – the ferry dance was a loss and there was much-heated discussion. A committee member received the order of the boot for failing to attend at three consecutive meetings. The cricketers continued to accuse the golfers of hacking up the reclamation at Little Sai Wan. There appears to have been a ‘punch up’ following the Championship at Fanling, and the committee were concerned if the society had received a bad name following the incident which had involved two members and damage to two chairs! A persistent member of the committee kept returning to this subject at subsequent meetings and did not appear satisfied until the damage costs of $120 had been paid by the miscreants. One of whom lost his playing facilities at Fanling until the Chairman of the Society formally requested reinstatement. Who was involved is lost in the mists of time – but it’ s a good story!

1972 stayed pretty quiet except for an EGM and much committee activity following the intriguingly named ‘ vulgar notice’ incident at Fanling and a further episode involving the swimming pool. As a result of these and the initial blame being attributed to society members, playing facilities were withdrawn for LSWGS by the RHKGC. Fortunately, the truth gradually emerged and the innocence and non-involvement in either episode of any of the members was established. Facilities were again permitted and all appeared well. Does anyone around today know what it was all about?

1973 must have seemed very quiet by comparison, and apart from the RHKYC declining to have the Society hold its annual dance in their premises, resulting in it being held at the Police Officers Mess there doesn’ t seem much to have concerned the committee.

At the AGM in 1974 membership stood at 60, and the outgoing captain felt the society was to be congratulated on ten successful years of golf.

1975 saw the entry of the flying boys – Messrs Hal Dyball and Jim Lovegrove joining as associate members in March of that year. Quote “ both gentlemen are associate members” Another stalwart, Eddie Lopes joined as an associate, his name still commemorated in one of the major competitions. The committee decided to ask the assistant professionals and some of the caddies play with the society, this idea was accepted by Joe Hardwick with the proviso that this should not get out of hand. Green fees at Fanling were now up to $100, $50 if playing with a member. A new Presidents Trophy was purchased as the original was badly tarnished and tatty. The Furama was the venue for the dance at $100 a head, music provided by the band of the 1st Battalion The Light Infantry. The RHKGC became very co-operative and agreed to offer 5-day membership to CSOS society members, the committee having to vet each application carefully before submitting names. Keith Colbourne joined as an associate member along with D Clegg and J Begbie later in the year. 1976 saw LSWGS members assisting in crowd control at the Open and stewarding at Ladies Open Amateur Championships, with much appreciation for their efforts. Charlie Bailey joined as an associate member.

 By 1977 membership stood at 67 of whom 28 were associate members, with 49 of the 67 being members of the golf club proper. That year’ s Taiwan trip had gone off very well, especially due to the efforts of Jim Lovergrove.

 The outgoing captain that year hoped that his successor would keep LSWGS as the best sporting club at Sai Wan and in Hong Kong, thunderous applause ensued at least according to the minute recorder! Joking apart it had been a golden year, and those lucky enough to have been playing then will have some fond memories. Charlie Bailey became the first Associate committee representative, and the Cathay boys continued to join, witness the arrival of Messrs.Tom Cox, Don Innes, Murray Raynes, Ian Stevens, Ron Wyldbore, Patrick Preston. A goof cross-section of Hong Kong society also joined, Ken Shimazaki of the “ Divine Wind” driver, Jens Munk the beserker Viking, Peter Supple the racehorse trainer I never got a good tip! Dave Currie the footballer also attended regularly on medal days. 1978 continued as another good year with Jeff Turner & Ray Corstin featuring as new members joined later by Chris Carver. Obviously, the donation by the redoubtable Walter Gerrard of a regular supply of ten-year-old Bells tended to stimulate interest in the medals of that year and into 1979, when membership had reached 72 with 41 associates. People played golf, with an average of 30 in medals and 40 plus in the 36 holes competitions. The social scene was also very active and attendances at dinners were high, with the after-dinner joke sessions a highlight. Winners of trophies always filled them as a matter of course, and the libations were quaffed equally quickly. Roland Gilroy as captain looked back on a good year and promised never to regale the members with the tale of phut phut phut and phut phut phut. Specific thanks were given to the associate members who had provided the edge to many of the competitions. The pleasant decision was made to make Bill Conway an Honorary Life Member. With the addition of Roger Precey-Smith and Laurie Martin, most of the members who would provide continuity had been gathered in. It is good to see that most of them have remained with LSWGS, others regrettably having to move on for business, retirement and other reasons.


1980 – 1988



Although the most recent period in the society history, the researcher’ s task becomes more difficult, for one thing, that hoard of secrets the minute book ceased to exist, and although minutes were taken a complete record no longer exists. So from 1982 onwards, some copies appear to be missing. However it is possible to follow the sequence of events and more importantly, the society carried on successfully. A success increasingly due to the efforts of the Cathay “ Captain” era, when due to the great run down and closure of Little Sai Wan the tradition of having a CSOS captain was broken.

The first of the new captains was Lionel King NOTE. Jim Lovegrove had been the first non-CSOS Vice Captain in 1980 who was followed in turn by Tom Cox, Ray Corstin, Ron Wyldbore, Don Grange, Paul Moore until he left when Ron Wyldbore stepped in again. Without the efforts of these stalwarts in all the committee posts including treasurer, handicap & match secretary, and just plain general members it is likely that the society would have had to pack in or become like the Little Sai Wan Cricket Team a name only, with a playing clientele having no connection with the original place. Fortunately, sufficient CSOS people remained after the cuts to hold some places on the committee, and in recent years there has been a modest increase in their numbers to ensure some presence for the foreseeable future.


To return to the minutes despite the lack of some, the story remains largely a carbon copy of the preceding years, a newsletter was introduced, and obviously, the men only pattern of the dinners was altered, and a good thing too. I have to say that or I will suffer the dreaded chop from my spouse The main thing is that returning members have been able to rejoin a thriving society and resume where they left off – as golfers at any rate! It might seem strange in a history to look into the future! However the future in Hong Kong is limited by 1997, and that must surely be the end of LSWGS at least in its present form. More immediately the love-hate relationship between the society and the RHKGC is entering another phase, and like other golfing societies we have been asked to put our house in order, there is also a side issue for CSOS members as a result of recent proposals to amend membership for service and civilian personnel. So what is new? Very little it seems – on looking back. We survived then and doubtless will for some time longer. So long may the society run and remain as I heard it described on the patio at Dhekelia Joint Services Golf Club one evening in 1986, “ the best-golfing society I was ever in was Little Sai Wan” and Bob Gornall didn’ t even know I was listening!, but I think he was right.


1971 – 1980



Down the years there have been many stories of epic events off the golf course. Many seem apocryphal now, did someone really tell the Governor’ s chauffeur what do with his offer of assistance? Obviously, the poor chap had played a bad round and wanted to change his own tyre in peace. Was there really a nude bathing episode after a jovial dinner? Which Captain was decoyed into baring his all? Replies in a sealed brown envelope please On my last tour I used to hear of the famous Sheko incident, but without anyone really ever telling me what happened. We never seem to play there though do we? Was the society’ s offence so heinous as to warrant being persona non grata in eternity. The journey home after a long day in the sun at Fanling also seemed fraught with mystery, for instance, I have never ever seen the Lion Rock Memorial Loo again, but a desperate Ray Corstin and myself paid it a visit one night, with a friendly tunnel official ushering us in. Can you remember old so and so sleeping it off beside his car at Deep Water Bay, getting home next day after work to find his 1 wood sharing his matrimonial bed! Alistair Fairley after a hole in one at Deep Water creating chaos in the evening by breaking up the old timers bridge school when he called round with his bottle of Johnny Walkers Black offering generous tots to all and sundry, leaving many Memsahibs in a state of fury. Those stag dinners with the ladies in purdah behind a screen at Fanling. They always had the best jokes judging by the hoots and gales of laughter which came forth, good job they now join us, and we can all share the fun.


1990 – 2017



My association with LSWGS came about several months after I arrived in Hong Kong with my family in 1990.

 One of the biggest regrets about leaving the UK was that I would not be able to do the five-minute drive to my golf club and play whenever I wanted to. Initial (pre-internet) investigations showed that there were golf clubs in Hong Kong, but that green fees were expensive and membership out of the question.

 I was rescued from my depression one morning when I read a report in the sports pages of the South China Morning Post about a local golf societies league.

 A phone call to the HK Golf Association yielded the information that there were indeed some 30 or more golf societies in Hong Kong, and in less than a week I received in the mail a comprehensive list of those societies including a contact number for each.


The first number I rang was to the representative of Kellett Golf Society. At the time I was living on the south side of Hong Kong Island and not far away from Kellett School. A rather snotty-sounding woman answered the phone, and her only question was: “Are you a member of the Yacht Club?” When I answered “no”, she put the phone down.

The only other name on the list that had any form of recognition was Little Sai Wan Golfing Society, and that was because my wife is a runner and I was aware at this early stage that there was also a Little Sai Wan Hash.

Hoping for a better outcome than the first call I dialled the number listed and when I politely asked, “Is this the right number for Little Sai Wan Golfing Society”? A rather stern voice replied, “How did you get this number…?”

I told the gentleman on the other end of the phone how the call had come about and he quickly calmed down and became more helpful. He was the Honorary Secretary (Ian …?) and told me that there was a waiting list for membership of about two years, but that there would be a game at DBGC the following Friday and that I would be welcome to play as his guest.

A week or so later I alighted the bus at DBGC where the Hon Sec was waiting to greet me, and he led me though to the veranda where the society members were having a pre-game lunch, and introduced me to many of those present.

This was October so the weather was perfect for golf. The views were spectacular and the course was in very good condition. I shot 84.

After the game we had a few drinks with dinner, and I was informed that there would be one of their regular monthly competitions some three weeks later over the New Course at Fanling. I remember being told that the greens at Fanling would be very slow.

I borrowed a car from my wife’s boss to be able to get to the golf club and turned off the highway at the first sign I saw for Fanling. I got hopelessly lost. I managed to find the golf club by sheer luck and fortunately was there before my tee time.

I remember that the weather was perfect for golf and I also remember shooting in the low 80s and also having EIGHT three putts on super slick putting surfaces! So much for the slow greens…

After the game the Hon Sec asked me whether I would like to become a member of the society and if so I would need a proposer and a seconder. Having replied in the affirmative he said that he would be prepared to propose my membership, while one of our playing partners that day said that he would be happy to second my application.

That same evening I received a call from the Hon Sec to say that there had been a committee meeting after the game, and that my application for membership had been approved. Slightly confused, I asked about the two-year waiting list and was told that it was a “selective” procedure.

 I played in every game possible after becoming a member, as it was a complete tonic to spend half a day with like-minded people in the beautiful countryside of Hong Kong.

 From memory our preferred green fees then were HK$350 per round. We would often finish playing golf at lunchtime and then play snooker upstairs for the rest of the afternoon.

 We had several social functions during the year in which wives/partners were encouraged to attend. Such functions were always well attended and everyone wore business suits. Such evenings almost always ended up with a joke-telling session, and often the bluest of the jokes were told by member’s wives!

 As with all such groups of people, special friendships were formed, and two of my best friends turned out to be Leigh Beaman and Don Grange. Both worked for Cathay Pacific, as did many of our members at the time, and both were (and I’m sure still are) very good golfers and wonderful characters.

 Don in particular was never slow to take up the microphone at the after dinner joke-telling sessions and I remember him once telling a tale in Bulgarian, which had everyone in the rotunda falling over with laughter. Don, for the record, could not speak Bulgarian, which made his yarn all the more humorous!

 Both Leigh and Don had previously held committee posts and were totally committed to the sound running and success of the society. Don was a HKGC member while Leigh was a CWB member, so both had the opportunity to play golf whenever they wanted to. LWSGS was special to them both, however, and they would play whenever their flying rosters had them in town. Indeed, many of our CX members would arrive back from a long-haul flight in the early hours and head straight to Fanling for the game.

 When I played with either Don or Leigh, or with any of their CX colleagues, I would often say on the first tee, “No discussions about airplanes today, gents!”

 In May the following year I was approached by the then captain, Terry Keeley, and asked if I would stand for the committee. I replied that I was too new to the society to be considered for such an important role, but Keeley replied that it would be good to have “new blood” on the committee.

 Having less than a year earlier expected to have to wait two years to become a LSWGS member I was now on the committee. Meetings were fairly standard affairs with the approval/rejection of new members and the planning of social functions.

 We played both DBGC and CWB away days once a year and also embarked on the Thailand Tour. I participated in the tour during my first full year of membership and enjoyed every minute of my first ever trip to Thailand. Pictures I took of the golf courses we played on that trip were sent to a golf magazine for possible publication and in a round about way led to my becoming a full time golf course and tournament photographer. I also remember Leigh ending up fully dressed in the hotel swimming pool after dinner one evening, but that’s a story for another time…

 The society ran very well while the CSOS guys were still in Hong Kong and our invoices for games came the following week in a BFPO (British Forces Post Office) envelope with a (British) 1p stamp. In those days people paid their bills on time, or most of them.

To play in a game we had to ring a number, which connected to an answerphone in the match secretary’s house. Everything happened by phone in those days, as we did not have that annoying but massively helpful thing called the Internet. The answerphone was in the airing cupboard, by the way, so as not to wake the Match Sec’s family when it rang at all hours of the night and from various parts of the world.

 In 1994 we celebrated our 30th anniversary with an afternoon stroke-play event over the Eden Course. I played with Joe Hardwick, who was then the resident pro at HKGC, and also Jeff Northam, from whom I took over as captain that day.

 As we stood on the first tee waiting to tee off four very old gents were making their way up the first fairway. I remember saying to Joe that it was going to be a very slow round following the four old gents, but Joe told me to wait and see. By the time we got to the second green they old guys were long gone and we didn’t catch them again.

The ladies joined us for the dinner in the rotunda that night and it was as good a night as I can ever remember. During the round I politely asked Joe if he would mind offering “a couple of items” from the pro shop to put in the lucky draw, and when he arrived at the rotunda with several of his staff members I thought I was in Aladdin’s Cave of golf. Joe gave us golf bags, kit bags, golf balls, shirts and many, many other such items. He also gave us a framed print of the 18th of the Eden Course, which sold in the pro shop for several thousand dollars.

When I thanked Joe for his kindness after the dinner he simply replied, “Don’t worry, I’ll get it all back on Monday morning from the Japanese tourists!”

 Hong Kong was changing rapidly in the countdown to 1997 “takeover” and some 1,000 local people per week were leaving to gain overseas passports. For the society things began to change from about 1995 onwards, as by then CGHQ was scaling back its operations at Stanley and Tai Mo Shan and moving the operation to Australia. Most of the staff were being recalled to their country of origin, mostly to the UK.

 As if this was not bad enough the East Asian economic crisis of 1997-8 saw Cathay Pacific offer “basings” to their flight crew in which they could now be based out of their home country, rather than live in Hong Kong.

 The result of this turmoil was that society membership dropped to an alarming level and we were often left to book just two or three flights for our monthly competitions.

At a crisis committee meeting during this time we had one item on the agenda: whether or not to fold the society and send all of the trophies to GCHQ (one or two of the more militant CSOS members “suggested” that the trophies should go with them when they left anyway).

After some heated debate it was decided that we should try to preserve what had been created over so many years. Encouraging each other, Leigh and I made it our mission to save the society from collapse and so a week before each monthly event we would each take half of the mailing list and telephone everyone on it and encourage them to play, and also to bring a guest.

It was slow going and a tedious task, but we managed to keep the match numbers up, and after a period of time we were able to stop the decline and we began to rebuild the membership database.

Naturally, members came from all walks of life and our membership became a very diverse group of people. We had to be more relaxed in accepting members, and every once in a while we were left to rue giving membership to someone who clearly was not of our ilk.

Collecting green fees by the old honesty postal system had to be abandoned because payments arrived later and later, and sometimes not at all. As such we invoked a pay-on-the-day system. One member in particular took undue advantage of the situation and feigned forgetfulness to arrive with his checkbook for several consecutive games. In the end we were forced to write off his debt as he simply stopped playing with us and refused to respond to demands for payment of several thousand dollars.

Another member walked off the golf course midway though the front nine, as he was not playing well. This was clearly unacceptable, not least because he was playing with Leigh, who at the time was society captain!

During the years of turmoil we stopped playing our annual games at DBGC and CWB, and even our event at Deep Water Bay (Deep Water Bay Classic). To maintain the Thailand tour we joined forces with Big Sai Wan, and this event then morphed into the Asian Ryder Cup.

After several years of holding the captaincy I told Leigh that I was going to step down. Leigh said that he would take over as captain if I agreed to take over the vacant role of president, to which I agreed.

 The challenges to keep the society going did not ease off for several years, although a very close relationship with the management of the golf club and some of the club’s committee members helped us in our cause.

 We successfully celebrated our 40th anniversary in 2004, and then in December 2014 we celebrated our 50th anniversary in fine style. One month previously we even had the unique opportunity to play one hole with golfing legend Gary Player, who was invited to join us for our November event and stayed on for lunch and provided a speech.

 Slow play remains the one major issue that we need to avoid to be able to continue to enjoy our playing rights at Fanling, and to this end we have had to terminate the membership of a small number of people who failed to understand the importance of this issue.

 The old days of the committee changing every two to three years to coincide with tours of duty of the CSOS personnel disappeared when they finally left in 1996 and our subsequent loss of members meant this could no longer happen.

 What has held us together is largely down to the dedication of a number of people who have been prepared to take on a committee role and maintain that role for an ongoing number of years.

 JP Cuvelier became the match secretary after Rob Henderson took up a job as a golf club manager in the UK in (date) and has maintained that role to this day. Simon Rudolph spent several years looking after the society funds as treasurer until leaving for Thailand in 2015. That important role has been taken over by Dale Willetts, who previously held the post of handicap secretary. Rob is now the honorary secretary after Ken Tashima vacated the post after many years of stewardship. Ken will leave for California this year. Tony Michell and Andre Kriesel continue to lead the society as captain and vice captain respectively, while Roger Best – now recognised as our constitutional advisor, maintains the important role of membership secretary.

 Rick Siemens, a director of the Asian Tour, has held a committee post for several years while Todd Hooper and Duncan Spooner are more recent appointees, however both are very good golfers and knowledgeable of the Rule of Golf. Todd took over the post of handicap secretary when Dale assumed the treasurer role, but sadly has also relocated to the US.

 The society remains in good hands and seems set to prosper under the current committee. Our relationship with the golf club remains positive and our competitions are still keenly fought.

 Slow play must still be avoided and the people we admit as new members must continue to uphold the values of the game of golf and the traditions the society holds dear.

 The next 50 years will hopefully be as rewarding as the past 50.